Thursday, September 2, 2010

Etsy Treasuries

To say that I'm a fan of Etsy would be an understatement. I might just be obsessed, like millions of other people like me out there. If you're unfamiliar, Etsy is an online market place where I, and thousands of other people, sell their handmade wares. Here you can find anything from a wedding gown to a vintage book, a handcrafted coffee table to a dozen vegan cookies. The selection is better than WalMart's, without the guilt of knowing you've supported big business. Each item has been thoughtfully and lovingly created just for you. You can't get much better than that if you ask me.

One of my favorite parts of the Etsy experience is visiting the very first page. Every day, they feature a select few beautiful items on the main page, and they are always so thoughtfully chosen and coordinated. This year, the Etsy team put the power in the hands of the Etsy members: allowing anyone to curate their own "treasury," then choosing the most beautiful groupings to be featured front and center. At first, I'll admit, I missed the Etsy-curated treasuries and gift-guides, but after giving the new member-curated lists a chance, I realized what a genius idea this was! Who better to pick out the best of the best than the people like me, who spend hours upon hours searching the varied pages of the site? It was a perfect plan.

So today, after a few months of perusing other people's lists, and being featured in a few treasuries myself, I decided to take a crack at it. After a visit to my parent's house, where the skies are clear and the stars come out in full at night, I had my mind on constellations. And as summer comes to an end, I've also had the bright yellows and gold of fall on my mind. So based on these ideas, I came up with a treasury of my own, called "Astral Autumn." You can click here to check it out, if you'd like.

A screenshot of the treasury I made, "Astral Autumn"

Treasuries are a great way to select and display things that inspire you or that you think are worthy of sharing. Curating a list can be a lot of fun, and it's a great way to promote the shops that you think are doing a great job. Be sure to check out some of the other treasuries available on Etsy, too, or make one yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment